Tuesday 25 June 2013

June 15,16, 2013 Father's Day Tradition continues...

Well, another Father's Day at the cottage.  The weather was great and lots of good food was consumed!!  The Kempe's brought their trailer again -- they were headed to their camp out at Cookstown after the weekend.

It was a perfect time of the year to enjoy the lilacs and I discovered so many more big lilac bushes/trees than I ever had seen up there before! The smell was delicious!






The dogs were pretty well beside themselves with joy to have 4 Grandparents there at the same time for cuddling and spoiling with treats!

After Sunday brunch, gifts were opened by the father's and everyone settled in for a picture show.




My Dad received solar lights to match his new deck at the back of his house.



Paul's Dad received strings of lights to go on the new gazebo at their trailer site in Copetown.




Mom K brought a Father's Day cake for the guys!




Later, after brunch, some of us decided to take a hike around the trails.  Rudy immediately disappeared down a different trail than the one we were on.  We called and called and finally I went to see what happened to him.  We found him at the base of a tree going crazy and barking like a mad dog. At first I though "oh no" its a skunk or a p-pine but....thank heavens it was just a baby p-pine!! Luckily it was out of reach in the tree but that didn't stop Rudy from trying to climb the tree - at one point he was actually bracing himself against one trunk while climbing the other - that is the picture below:



Here are pictures of the baby - not very good but his camouflage is pretty good and he blends in well with the tree trunk.



The poor little thing was scared to death and we were scared that its mother was going to appear and start shooting quills!
I had to grab and hold Rudy and bring him back to the cottage and every time I let him out he would right back to that spot - finally we had to put him on his leash when he went out.  Later in the afternoon when we made certain the baby was gone we were able to let him out.

I spent some time before we left for home taking some pictures of Spring flowers and here are some of the best ones:

Not sure what this one is - identity tbd!

My one hidden peony plant - I found it at the end of Woodcutter's way.

I also found a big expanse of day lily plants that I didn't know about either!


A new plant I need to identify - only flowers at the junction of the leaves and stems.

Dames Rocket

No comments:

Post a Comment